Sunday, July 25, 2010

Old music is the best music

I grew up in the 50s & 60s.  I think most people always appreciate the music that first touched their lives, no matter how much music changes over time.  Each generation has their own type of music and mine are those of the 50s & 60s. 

Today on NPR's The Changing World the story is The Greatest Songs of The World.  The first they covered was Stand By Me, by Ben E. King.  The story itself is incredible.  You can listen to the show here:
The Greatest Songs of the World

I was surprised to learn that John Lennon covered Stand by Me.  Here's the official video from You Tube: John Lennon's version   And here is Ben E. King singing Stand by Me:  Ben E. King

And this version, which I saw on Bill Moyers' Journal is also on You Tube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM

The next song covered is The Lion Sleeps Tonight.  Here is a video of The Tokens singing this song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo

Of course now whenever I hear this song I think of Brian Orser, the incredible Canadian ice skater, doing a routine to this song.  I must say it's my favorite of all of his performances.  The one time I preferred him over Brian Boitano. 

Hope these songs make you feel as good as they make me feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment