Sunday, June 20, 2010
Amidst all of the criticism for the President and the government’s handling of the Deepwater Horizon disaster, a question popped into my head. Before I get to that, however, realize that I’m not saying this unbelievably devastating disaster has been handled well………….by anyone. I’m left with “if only THEY had listened”, but that isn’t an option. It is what it is. It’s a waste of time to discuss just how this horrendous tragedy could have been avoided, except to make sure it doesn’t happen again. That’s another post.
So, on to the question. Up until Congressman Barton’s apology for the mistreatment of BP by the President, nearly every person – left, right & center – was criticizing the Administration for doing it wrong. So, I wondered the following: what would be different if the election had a different outcome? Would things be better if John McCain and Sarah Palin had been the folks in charge? I know what I think, what about you? Think about it:
• Would the state of affairs at the Mineral Management Services been altered in any way, for the better, leading up to the disaster?
• Would any fewer permits, without necessary oversights in place, been approved?
• Would more people have been deployed to the area?
• Would the Unified Command actually have been unified?
• Would the government have taken charge immediately, or would McCain/Palin have relied upon the expertise of BP?
• Would the “leak” streaming from the ocean floor been visible to everyone sooner?
• Would the press have had better access to what was happening?
• Would any of those responsible for this calamity have been called before Congress for questioning and castigation?
• Would the folks – and the wildlife – along the Gulf Coast have fared better?
• Would the efforts to stop the flow have worked?
• Would efforts to prevent oil intrusion along the coast have been stepped up?
• Would they have worked?
You can probably guess my answers to those questions. A resounding NO! If these two had answers and solutions, wouldn’t it be in the best interest of the people and wildlife of the Gulf and the planet to share those with the world? It’s too damn easy to criticize and much harder to work toward a solution. So, patriots, be patriotic and step up to the plate and make this all better NOW! Let’s stop kicking ass and roll up our sleeves and get to work and help.